This weekend we traveled to the northern peninsula in Costa Rica with our friends Agus and David. We rented a car and left right after work on Friday. It was a 2 hour drive to get to the ferry that would take us to the peninsula.

We got to the ferry and much to our surprise it took about an hour to get across. We lost sight of the mainland as we crossed the sea- quite a different experience from the 5 minute Golden Eagle Ferry back home. This 3 level ferry took even huge busses and 18-wheelers along. There was a full restaurant on board, but we went for the $1 kabobs that were being sold and cooked right in front of us on the street before we boarded. So delicious! 

We finally arrived in Montezuma after the sun had set (which is actually quite early here-6:30) and got settled into our hostel. It was by no means glamorous, but it served its purpose. We ate casado (a typical Costa Rican meal usually consisting of rice, black beans, plantains, and your choice of meat) at a local soda that night for about $4 a person. 

The next morning we were awoken by the deep groan of howler monkeys. While their sound is rather frightening, it was refreshing to rise to the sounds of nature rather than the hum of early morning rush hour. We took advantage of the morning and went to watch the sun rise over the beach. 

Then it was time for adventure! We started our hike up to the waterfall. This was a bit more strenuous than I had really expected but WOW was it so worth it in the end! I was the only one who got in the waterfall (scaredy cats!) but I could not pass up that bucket list moment! The water was so cold it took my breath away. The energy expended by the waterfall forcefully pushed me away, but I fought against it until I felt the heavy downpour on my face. I still can't even believe it was real. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever done. Maybe not, but right now I can't think of anything that can even compare. 

We hiked our way back down and ate our bean spread and cheese sandwiches for lunch. Vincent and I found this weird but it was quite normal for our friends so we went along with it. It wasn't bad at all! After our naps in the hammocks outside the hostel we packed up for the next journey. 

It took us to Santa Teresa, a major surfing town in the southern tip of the peninsula. We drove around for an hour comparing prices of different hostels in the area because the internet is so horrible you can't hardly do anything on your phone. We finally ended up at a little surfer hostel 2 minutes from the beach. We drank the most delicious coffee I have ever had and made our way down to the white sand and big waves. The night soon fell and we wandered all around the town looking for the sign we had passed earlier saying "Pizza- 800 colones". We should have known better than that because nothing is that cheap in Costa Rica. So, we ended up spending way too much money on pizza and decided we'd just go hungry tomorrow.

But go hungry we did not! The next morning we woke up and prepared for our 8 hour endeavor home, as we were taking the scenic route this time. David and Agus passed the mate cup around and we all sipped on the traditional argentinian drink as we drove. The roads in Costa Rica are mainly bumpy gravel roads with few traffic signs- or rules for that matter. The bad roads made both me and Agus a little sick, but luckily I have stock piled any medication you could possibly imagine needing. Since it was during the rainy season, small rivers had formed where roads used to be and we had to decide weather to cross or turn back. David, our expert pilot who has been driving since he was 9, got us across the water every time. We stopped many many times to gather any kind of fruit we saw growing on the trees. It turned into an adventure every time Agus yelled "pare pare pare!".  We'd all hop out and gather as many mangos as our hands could hold. We met many Ticos (locals) doing this and they all chatted with us and offered stories, advice, and more fruit. By the time we arrived home we couldn't open the hatchback without fruit bursting forth. Agus pointed out that there is one good thing about being poor here versus being poor in the US. At home, you have to dig through trash or beg to find food, here, you can eat fresh fruit off the trees. 

Anyway, we are now bursting at the seams with mangos. I made mango ice cream last night, we drink mango smoothies every day, and eat mangos for breakfast. If anyone has any mango recipes we can make with limited supplies lay them on me! If you'd like to see more photos, head over to my Facebook or Instagram page. 

Adventure On and Pura Vida!